- e-mail address
- First Name
- University of Manchester
- +44 (0)161 306 3737
- Postal Address
School of Mechanical Civil and Aerospace Engineering, Tyndall Manchester, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL
- Current Position
- Senior Research Fellow
- Role at Tyndall
PI on SCI/Tyndall Centre projects including EPSRC High Seas Project. Supervises Tyndall-affiliated PhD researchers: Dan Calverley and Michael Traut. Senior Lecturer in Energy and Climate Change with the Sustainable Consumption Institute. Leads SCI Flagship Project on Mitigation and Adaptation Scenarios and supervises SCI PhD researchers Maria Sharmina and Kate Scott.
- Role at Council
- Partner Representative
- Research Interests
A primary focus on international transportation (aviation and shipping) and its impact on the climate, in addition to the construction of energy scenarios and emission pathways. Aviation: A Phase 1 project on 'Contraction and Convergence: Implications for UK aviation' was followed by a Joule Centre funded project on Aviation in the North West, and a Tyndall Phase 2 project on the construction of demand for aviation, alongside Drs Sarah Mander and Sally Randles (Task 2.7). Energy Scenarios: A Phase 1 project on the 'Decarbonising the UK Scenarios' led to subsequent projects on generating global emissions scenarios and pathways including 'Living Within a Carbon Budget', and fed into research by Drs Jim Watson and Tao Wang on Chinese Energy Scenarios. Shipping: recent projects include an EPSRC-funded High Seas Project, an SCI funded project on the LCA of shipping emissions and a Tyndall Transition project on how shipping emissions are apportioned, alongside Dr Paul Gilbert and Richard Starkey. Scenario work is continuing through funding from the Sustainable Consumption Institute, in collaboration with the Stockholm Environment Institute (Drs John Barrett, Ellie Dawkins, Ruth Wood), the Satake Centre for Grain Process Engineering (Drs Grant Campbell, Jhuman Sadhukhan and Mirjam Roeder) and Tyndall Manchester researchers (Drs Patricia Thornley, Sarah Mander, Carly McLachlan and Kate Scott).
- Personal website
- Other website
- Member for
- 4 years 2 weeks
- View recent blog entries
Tue, 06/29/2010 - 18:12
- News item
- UK’s shipping emissions six times higher than expected says new report
- Four Degrees and Beyond Special Issue Journal
- Tyndall Centre contributes to report that changes debate on future migration patterns in the face of environmental change.
- Sustainable Consumption Institute and Tyndall Manchester: Adaptation and mitigation in the UK food system
- New paper on policy and mitigation of CO2 from shipping
- Shipping and carbon emissions special issue
- Aviation and shipping privileged – again?
- Video (TyndallTV)
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation in the UK food system (Feb 2010 - Jan 2012)
- High Seas Project: Assessing the technical and operational scope for rapid carbon emission reduction from global shipping
- Identifying emission gaps within lifecycle analysis of shipping
- 13. Mitigation and Adaptation in Food Supply Chains