I graduated in Germany as a fully qualified Civil Engineer and completed a PhD in Environmental Management and Business Psychology (CEG and the School of Biology and Psychology) at Newcastle University in 2006. After working for more than 8 years as company director, consultant and trainer of business leaders worldwide I re-joined CEG in 2011 as a senior researcher.
In academia I develop and apply social, engineering and management methodologies to increase the profitability and understanding of industrial and urban processes. My projects have been assessed independently and received highest possible ratings for the transfer of technical and management knowledge. I have designed and delivered training courses and consulted local and multinational companies from the construction to the banking sector. My work enhances the research and training of science, engineering and managerial knowledge as they are directly relevant to businesses and governmental organisations.
I develop new approaches to model and manage climate change adaptation, mitigation, natural resources and material flows using e.g. life cycle assessment, industrial ecology and standardised systems e.g. 9001, 18001 and 14001 in urban environments. I aim to provide researchers and decision makers a system-scale understanding of the inter-relationships between resource mapping and resource use in cities. For this I consider climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies and technologies in the built environment. My research, consultancy and publications feed directly into my teaching bringing expertise into the classroom. I lead modules, teach and conduct the associated administration of Higher Education (HE) Programs for UG, PG and doctoral students. My leadership, lecturing and administration in HE has been assessed by colleagues and students as being “very effective” and “excellent”.
I research and develop new theories for urban areas (cities) and climate change adaptation and mitigation by considering resource models, life cycle assessment and costing, industrial ecology principles and standardised management systems.
- Lenk S, Rybski D, Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Kropp JP. Costs of sea dikes – regressions and uncertainty estimates. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences Discussion 2016, 1-21.
- Heidrich O, Reckien D, Olazabal M, Foley A, Salvia M, de Gregorio Hurtado S, Orru H, Flacke J, Geneletti D, Pietrapertosa F, Hamann JP, Tiwary A, Feliu E, Dawson RJ. National climate policies across Europe and their impacts on cities strategies. Journal of Environmental Management 2016, 168, 36-45.
- Sandberg N, Sartori I, Heidrich O, Dawson R, Dascalaki E, Dimitriou S, Vimmr T, Filippidou F, Stegnar G, Zavrl M, Brattebø H. Dynamic Building Stock Modelling: Application to 11 European countries to support the energy efficiency and retrofit ambitions of the EU. Energy and Buildings 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Ling-Chin J, Heidrich O, Roskilly AP. Life cycle assessment (LCA) – from analysing methodology development to introducing an LCA framework for marine photovoltaic (PV) systems. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 2016, 59, 352-378.
- Tiwary A, Williams ID, Heidrich O, Namdeo A, Bandaru V, Calfapietra C. Development of multi-functional streetscape green infrastructure using a performance index approach. Environmental Pollution 2016, 208(Part A), 209-220.
- Heidrich O, Harvey J. An examination into recycling and waste management attitudes and behaviors by UK employees. Environmental Engineering and Management Journal 2015, accepted. In Press.
- Vemury C, Heidrich O, Thorpe N. Sustainable Design Education to Meet the Ever-Changing Worlds of Civil Engineering and Urban Infrastructure Systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology 2015, 8(28), 1-6.
- Reckien D, Flacke J, Olazabal M, Heidrich O. The Influence of Drivers and Barriers on Urban Adaptation and Mitigation Plans—An Empirical Analysis of European Cities. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(8), e0135597.
- Heidrich O, Villarroel-Walker R, Dawson R, Hall J, Beck MB. Assessing technology and innovation interventions in the metabolism of Greater London. In: International Society of Industrial Ecology-Taking Stock. 2015, Surrey, UK.
- Guy S, Henshaw V, Heidrich O. Climate change, adaptation and Eco-Art in Singapore. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 2015, 58(1), 39-54.
- Tangtinthai N, Manning D, Heidrich O. Concrete Use in the Housing Sectors of Great Britain and Thailand. In: International Society of Industrial Ecology-Taking Stock. 2015, Surrey, UK.
- Tangtinthai N, Manning D, Heidrich O. Extraction, Use and Disposal of Construction Materials in Great Britain and Thailand. In: International Concrete Sustainability Conference. 2015, Miami, FL, USA.
- Heidrich O, Ford A, Alderson D, Dawson R, Manning D. UK climate change strategies in cities and the LAYERS of cobalt supplies. In: International Society of Industrial Ecology-Taking Stock. 2015, Surrey, UK.
- Demuzere M, Orru K, Heidrich O, Olazabal E, Geneletti D, Orru H, Bhave A, Mittal N, Feliu E, Faehnle M. Mitigating and adapting to climate change: multi-functional and multi-scale assessment of green urban infrastructures. Journal of Environmental Management 2014, 146, 107–115.
- Vemurya CM, Heidrich O, Thorpe N. Sustainable Design Education to Meet the Ever-Changing Worlds of Civil Engineering. In: The International Conference on Sustainable Technologies in Buildings and Environment. 2015, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Bramald T, Heidrich O, Hall J. Teaching sustainability to first year civil engineering students. Proceedings of the ICE: Engineering Sustainability 2015, 168(2), 93-101.
- Reckien D, Flacke J, Dawson RJ, Heidrich O, Olazabal M, Foley A, Hamann JJP, Orru H, Salvia M, De Gregorio Hurtado S, Genelett D, Pietrapertosa F. Climate change response in Europe: What's the reality? Analysis of adaptation and mitigation plans from 200 urban areas in 11 countries. Climatic Change 2014, 122(1-2), 331-340.
- Heidrich O, Wall F, Manning D, Glass H. Corporate Social Responsibility and the mining industry. In: Stewardship for Planet Earth- Sustainable Resources & Governance. 2014, UCL, London, UK.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Reckien D, Walsh CL. How prepared are UK cities for addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation?. Urbanization and Global Environmental Change Viewpoints 2014, 10, 17-21.
- Harvey J, Heidrich O, Cairns K. Psychological factors to motivate sustainable behaviours. Proceedings of the ICE- Urban Design and Planning 2014, 167(4), 165-174.
- Heidrich O. Strategies for Sustainable Technologies and Innovations. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation 2014, 15(1), 60-61.
- Walker RV, Beck MB, Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Heidrich O. The energy-water-food nexus: Strategic analysis of technologies for transforming the urban metabolism. Journal of Environmental Management 2014, 141, 104-115.
- Dawson RJ, Wyckmans A, Heidrich O, Köhler J, Dobson S, Feliu E, ed. Understanding Cities: Advances in integrated assessment of urban sustainability. Newcastle, UK: Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research (CESER), 2014.
- Heidrich O, Dawson R, Manning D. A framework for reporting sustainability in the mining industry. In: Minerals for Life: Overcoming Resource Constraints. 2013, Edinburgh: Mineralogical Society.
- Vemury CM, Thorpe N, Heidrich O. An Integrated Approach to Teaching Multidisciplinary Design for Sustainability. In: Engineering Education for Sustainable Development (EESD13). 2013, Cambridge, UK.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Reckien D, Walsh CL. Assessment of the climate preparedness of 30 urban areas in the UK. Climatic Change 2013, 120(4), 771-784.
- Heidrich O, Tiwary A. Environmental appraisal of green production systems: Challenges faced by small companies using life cycle assessment. International Journal of Production Research 2013, 51(19), 5884-5896.
- Bramald T, Heidrich O, Hall JA. Exploring first year undergraduates’ perceptions of conflicting parameters and complexity in civil engineering through three different learning experiences. In: Engineering Education for Sustainable Development (EESD13). 2013, Cambridge, UK.
- Heidrich O. Industrial Ecology- Understanding the synergies of climate change responses and business opportunities and the implications for urban designers. In: National Conference on Urban Design 2013- The Pursuit of Growth. 2013, Newcastle, UK: Urban Design Group (UDG).
- Reckien D, Flacke J, Heidrich O, Dawson R. Plans and Realisation - How European Urban Regions Proceed in Adaptation and Mitigation Planning. In: Planet under Pressure: New Knowledge Towards Solutions. 2012, London.
- Walsh L, Dawson R, Heidrich O. Progress and assessment of climate change adaptation and mitigation plans. In: 1st International Conference for Urban Sustainability & Resilience. 2012, London, UK.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Walsh CL. Progress and assessment of climate change adaptation and mitigation plans. In: 1st International Conference on Urban Resilience and Sustainability. 2012, London, UK.
- Heidrich O, Dawson R. The natural resource needed to implement adaptation and mitigation strategies. In: Planet under Pressure: New Knowledge Towards Solutions. 2012, London.
- Heidrich O. Environmental sustainability and life cycle assessment for small businesses. In: 21st International Conference on Production Research (ICPR), Innovation in Product and Production. 2011, Stuttgart, Germany: Fraunhofer IRB Verlag.
- Heidrich O, Harvey J. Factors and influences by the workforce for sustainable management systems. In: 21st International Conference on Production Research. 2011, Stuttgart, Germany: Fraunhofer IRB Verlag.
- Keuning JA, Heidrich O, Eikelboom E. Schone Kunst. KM Materiaaltechnische Informatie over Kunst en Vormgeving (Technical Information on Material Art and Design) 2011, 80(4), 36-39