Hayley Fowler is Professor of Climate Change Impacts in the Water Resource Systems Engineering Group in the School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences. She is a hydroclimatologist with >15 years of experience in analysing changing precipitation extremes and their impacts on hydrological systems, and has published more than 80 ISI-cited articles since 2000. She held a NERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2006-10) examining the links between atmospheric circulation patterns, extreme rainfall and flooding, was awarded a Philip Leverhulme Prize in 2011 and Royal Society Wolfson Research Award in 2014. Her research into climate change impacts, downscaling methods, flood and drought forecasting and risk is funded by NERC, Defra, EPSRC, EU (>£8m). She has been instrumental in the analysis of climate model outputs and development of new downscaling techniques to bridge the gap between modellers and users of climate information (e.g. UKCP09 Weather Generator). She is an editor of PLOS One and Frontiers in Interdisciplinary Climate Studies and leads the GEWEX Hydroclimate Panel sub‐daily precipitation cross‐cut. She enjoys engaging with the public and gave the British Science Association Joseph Lister Award Lecture (2012/2013). She collaborates widely, particularly with NCAR, US, where she has held a number of visiting scientist positions. Hayley did a BA in Geography at Cambridge University (1996) before moving to Newcastle University for an MSc in Water Resource Systems Engineering (1997) and PhD in climate change impacts on water resources (2000), staying at Newcastle for her post-doctoral training.
- Walsh CL, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ, Burton A, Dawson RJ, Glenis V, Manning LJ, Jahanshahi G, Kilsby CG. Adaptation of water resource systems to an uncertain future. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 2016, 20, 1869-1884.
- Archer DR, Parkin G, Fowler HJ. Assessing long term flash flooding frequency using historical information. Hydrology Research 2016, 47(2), Epub ahead of print.
- Kendon EJ, Ban N, Roberts NM, Fowler HJ, Roberts MJ, Chan SC, Evans JP, Fosser G, Wilkinson JM. Do convection-permitting regional climate models improve projections of future precipitation change?. Bulletin of the American Meteorological 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Chan SC, Kendon EJ, Roberts NM, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S. Downturn in scaling of UK extreme rainfall with temperature for future hottest days. Nature Geosciences 2016, 9(1), 24-28.
- Blenkinsop S, Lewis E, Chan SC, Fowler HJ. Quality control of an hourly rainfall dataset and climatology of extremes for the UK. International Journal of Climatology 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Guerreiro SB, Kilsby CG, Fowler HJ. Rainfall in Iberian transnational basins: a drier future for the Douro, Tagus and Guadiana?. Climatic Change 2016, 135(3), 467-480.
- Tye MR, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ, Stephenson DB, Kilsby CG. Simulating multimodal seasonality in extreme daily precipitation occurrence. Journal of Hydrology 2016, 537, 117-129.
- Chan SC, Kendon EJ, Roberts NM, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S. The characteristics of summer sub-hourly rainfall over the southern UK in a high-resolution convective permitting model. Environmental Research Letters 2016, 11(9).
- Forsythe N, Hardy AJ, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S, Kilsby CG, Archer DR, Hashmi MZ. A detailed cloud fraction climatology of the Upper Indus Basin and its implications for near surface air temperature. Journal of Climate 2015, 28(9), 3537-3556.
- Hegerl GC, Black E, Allan RP, Ingram WJ, Polson D, Trenberth KE, Chadwick RS, Arkin PA, Sarojini BB, Becker A, Dai AG, Durack PJ, Easterling D, Fowler HJ, Kendon EJ, Huffman GJ, Liu CL, Marsh R, New M, Osborn TJ, Skliris N, Stott PA, Vidale PL, Wijffels SE, Wilcox LJ, Willett KM, Zhang XB. Challenges in Quantifying Changes in the Global Water Cycle. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 2015, 96(7), 1097-1115.
- Archer DR, Fowler HJ. Characterising flash flood response to intense rainfall and impacts using historical information and gauged data in Britain. Journal of Flood Risk Management 2015, (epub ahead of print).
- Pepin N, Bradley RS, Diaz HF, Baraer M, Caceres EB, Forsythe N, Fowler H, Greenwood G, Hashmi MZ, Liu XD, Miller JR, Ning L, Ohmura A, Palazzi E, Rangwala I, Schöner W, Severskiy I, Shahgedanova M, Wang MB, Williamson SN, Yang DQ. Elevation-dependent warming in mountain regions of the world. Nature Climate Change 2015, 5(5), 424-430.
- Forsythe N, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ. Exploring objective climate classification for the Himalayan arc and adjacent regions using gridded data sources. Earth System Dynamics 2015, 6(1), 311-326.
- Dale M, Luck B, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S, Gill E, Bennett J, Kendon EJ, Chan SC. New climate change rainfall estimates for sustainable drainage. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering Sustainability 2015, Epub ahead of print.
- Forsythe N, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S, Burton A, Kilsby CG, Archer DR, Harpham C, Hashmi MZ. Application of a stochastic weather generator to assess climate change impacts in a semi-arid climate: The Upper Indus Basin. Journal of Hydrology 2014, 517, 1019-1034.